According to Shakespeare in The Merchant of Venice, “Mercy drops down like gentle rain from Heaven up on the place beneath. It is twice blessed. It blesseth him that gives and him that receives”.
From the days of its birth till today, Christianity never
forgets the poor. The very purpose of the coming of Christ
into this world was to give better life physically and
spiritually to the neglected, marginalized and abandoned people
of His time and to all future ages. It is the command of
Jesus to set free the poor, sick and the oppressed. This
command is being carried out by the Church, by running schools,
hospitals and other institutions. The Bible says “Blessed
are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy” when in God’s name
we practice Christ-like caring, He is praised.
This hospital, which was started with the same love and concern by Methodist missionaries in 1909 as a women’s dispensary, had to close after 15 days to be restarted in January 1910. Over the past 100 years the Lord God has faithfully led us to the present status. The present hospital was part of the legacy left behind by the Methodist missionaries when the Church of South India was formed in 1947. Over the years the hospital has been making steady progress.
The late Dr. (Mrs.) S. Stephen, who was Medical Superintendent for nearly 24 years (1953-1976), had done her best to improve the building and other facilities. She stabilized the women and children’s care. The next team led by Dr. K.Jeremiah (1977-2003) and Dr. Mrs. Jeremiah (1977-2004) , transformed this hospital with 40 beds, which was functioning as a women and children hospital to a general hospital for men, women and children. Medical, Surgical, Peadiatric and maternity cases are all treated both as out–patients and in-patients since then. Dr.Kingsly Jebakumar (1984-1987) and Dr. Suresh Chelliah (1992-1997) established noteworthy Pediatric services and Dr.J.V.Peter (1994-1997) upgraded the Medical unit and founded a good Intensive Care Unit. Dr.Samson Daniel (1983-Till date) established a high quality Ortho and Traumatology centre and now a DNB accredited Post graduate Training Centre.
We are recognized by National Board of Examinations, New Delhi for post graduate training of doctors in Orthopaedics, Obstetrics/ Gynaecology and Family Medicine. Those who are trained here will write the National level examinations towards the award of “Diplomate of National Board” (DNB) in various specialities mentioned.
The aim of the hospital is to give quality medical care at affordable cost to the downtrodden, under privileged rural population in and around Trichy. Good buildings and equipments were needed for this. Thanks to the efforts of former two bishops, Bishop. Solomon Duraisamy and Bishop. Paulraj, the German agency E.Z.E helped in two phases in 1979 and 1989. Like the parable of the talents, we were able to multiply the help rendered by E.Z.E. and all the growth the hospital has seen, like the School of Nursing, Residential quarters for Staff, Nurses hostel, expansion of I.C.U. Wards, Physiotherapy buildings, Blood Bank, Orthopaedics, Out-patient department, Dental O.P., Multipurpose hall etc were met by our own earnings. The dedication of buildings for Casualty, Infectious Diseases Wards, underground parking for two wheelers, reception and office buildings etc. in 2002 were constructed at a cost of around one crore rupees, also through our own savings. The Lord whom we trusted has been gracious and we have never been in want.
The present Medical Superintendent Dr Samson Daniel took over the reigns of administration from May 14th 2003 and he is carrying the baton received from his predecessors, in addition to running the busy orthopaedic and trauma service of the hospital. Presently the hospital has a total of 150 beds. Our outpatient registration starts from 8:00 A.M. to 12.30 P.M. and 3:30 P.M. to 5:30 P.M. Doctors usually start seeing patients around 9:00 A.M. in the OPD. Different specialties like General Medicine, General Surgery, Orthopaedics, Cardiology, Paediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynaecology are seen in the out patient department. Emergency cases are seen through all 24 hours in the Casualty department. Medico legal and accident cases are also seen here following initial accident register entry at a nearby Government or designated hospital. In addition, visiting consultants on call are available in the following Super-specialities for emergency and in-patients, these are – Urology, Nephrology, Neurology, Neuro surgery, Cardio-thoracic surgery and Vascular surgery. Part-time consultants conduct out patient Clinics on specific days of the week in our premises.
There are six operation theatres with central gas supply, central suctioning, fully air conditioned with modern lights and tables, under water cutting diathermy and C-arm image intensifier. A well equipped spacious Physiotherapy and Occupational therapy is functioning. Physiotherapy department treats musculo-skeletal, Neurological and cardio-respiratory problems with physical methods and modalities like exercises and with equipments like interferential therapy, Ultrasound therapy, traction and moist heat therapy to relieve pain and restore them to the fullest independent and pain free life.
Ours is a Govt. approved centre for family planning surgery and received an award best performance in Tamil Nadu 1998-1999. Recently the hospital was adjudged as “Best Hospital for service” and was given an award by Vishwaseva Telemedia, Tamilan Television and Lions Club of Chennai for the year 2009.
We also have a licensed Govt. approved blood bank. We encourage Volunteer donors to donate blood. Screening for HIV. V.D.R.L., Hepatitis, M.P.M.F., etc are done on every donor. We have diagnostic services like ECG, X-Ray, Treadmill, Ultrasound scan , Echo scan, and well equipped laboratories for Clinical Pathology, Bio-Chemistry and Microbiology.
We have now started a full fledged Cardiology department with full time Cardiologist (Dr.B.S.Vimalraj, M.D.,D.M.) trained in Christian Medical College, Vellore. A state of the art new generation flat panel Cardiac Catheterization equipment imported from Germany has been installed to perform high quality interventional Cardiology procedures like Angiogram, Angioplasty etc. “Pin-hole” procedures can be done avoiding major open surgeries to the heart and blood vessels in selected cases using this equipment.
We are recognized to give treatment to poor patients under Chief Minister’s Insurance Scheme for Life Saving Treatments. We are also recognized from the Tamil Nadu State Government for treatment of State Government employees and Pensioners vide to G.O. Ms.No.547 dt.14.11.2007, and G.O. Ms. No.50 dt.19.02.2008. We have an open policy towards HIV Positive patients who come for various treatments including surgeries. They are all treated compassionately without fear or bias and at no extra cost.
The outreach programme is centered around satellite centres at Kailasapuram, Kamaraj nagar and Thuvakudi in the periphery of the town.
The School of Nursing is an integral part of the Church of
South India Mission General Hospital, Woriur; Trichy.It was
started in March 1993 as a teaching arm of the hospital and has
the same objective and philosophy of the hospital. The purpose
of the General Nursing programme is to prepare General Nurses
who will function as a member of the Health team. We provide our
students with knowledge and equip them with professional
expertise to meet the changing demands of society. It develops
in them a pride in their profession besides keeping them abreast
with current knowledge and professional trends for a successful
carrier.The course extends for three and a half years in
General Nursing and Midwifery and is recognized by the Tamilnadu
Government and Indian Nursing Council and follows the syllabus
laid down by them. It is compulsory for the
students to join the hostel.
14 Batches of Graduates have passed out from this institution and are working not only in many of the prestigious hospitals in India but also abroad.
We as a team of dedicated Doctors, Nurses, and Allied health care personnel are committed to this service. We hope the devotion and dedication of the hospital personnel arising from the deep commitment to witness for Christ should make His love known to people who come for medical help.
We bow our heads in reverence and gratitude before God who
has blessed us richly in all our endeavours.